Saturday, October 15, 2016

Five for Friday on Saturday

Yesterday was Friday, and I did NOT do my Five for Friday post! I took my kids out to dinner and watched TV after they went to bed! Now that I'm well rested, I'm ready to link up with Kacey at Doodlebugs Teaching! Happy weekend, everyone!

 
I've wrapped up my rounding and place value unit. One of the activities I had students do was create a number line on a sentence strip. They were given a 3-digit number and had to create a number line that would help them round the number to the nearest ten. Then, they needed to write (step by step) how they used the number line to round. They were totally engaged and excited about it. Most kids love a challenge.
 
 
 
In writing, we spent some time learning about compound sentences. I gave partners simple sentences that they needed to combine using a conjunction. The cool glue bottles are a freebie from Kelly Witt. You can grab them in her TPT store.

 


We've also started a persuasive letter. The students write from the point of view of a pumpkin. They must try to persuade someone to either PICK them or NOT pick them. To brainstorm, groups of three students worked together to list things to avoid when looking for a pumpkin and things to look for

We've started our mystery book clubs. The idea came from Amy Lemons, and I use her Mystery Mini Unit with my groups. I'm fortunate to have a skilled para in my room. Also, I teach inclusion reading so I have the special education teacher in my room too! She's a blast to teach with, and we get to do lots of differentiated small group lessons. Do you get the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues?
 
 
Cold weather=More cats on my lap!
If you read my blog regularly, you know that I like my cats. Our family now owns three! Sparrow (the tabby) has been with us since August. It took her awhile to warm up to the other cats. Herbie (gray) and Sunshine (yellow) often cuddle. The photo above with all three cats in my lap happened last week. It hasn't happened since!

As I type this, Sparrow is trying to perch in my lap without falling off. She likes attention!

 
 
 
On Monday, my husband and I took the kids to the apple orchard. The foliage is starting to get really nice here in Connecticut, so we drove around and enjoyed that too. At the orchard there are five different horses, and they're all curious and friendly. One of them is extremely mellow and pretty old. He just meanders among the rows of apple trees, and people stop to pet him. 

Thanks for visiting! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

 

1 comment:

  1. I love your cat pictures - I could use a cat to warm me up right now - the house is freezing! The apple orchard looks like so much fun, too! You were very busy at school last week - you deserve a relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete