Saturday, September 17, 2016

Five for Friday-On Saturday

This week was exhausting but great! Doing this post last night just wasn't happening! So, I'm linking up with Five for Friday on Saturday! Thank you to Kacey at Doodlebugs Teaching for hosting. 




 
My kids and I went to our town's Tomato Festival last weekend. There was a parade, some yummy food, and a baby goat (among other things). We decorated tomatoes. Mine is in the top photo. 


We learned about the difference between predicting and inferring. We kicked off the unit by using predicting puzzles. Each group gets 4 pieces of a puzzle. They need to predict what the image will be and write about the clues that helped them make their prediction.  Then, they assemble the puzzle to confirm their predictions. Read more about this activity and grab the FREE recording sheet by clicking here

 
 
Another strategy we've been practicing is determining importance. I started with this fabulous unit by Christina DeCarbo.

 
We practiced using The Secret Life of Trees and an article in Scholastic News. 

 

 
I've been counting calories and trying to exercise regularly. The struggle is real! It's going fairly well, but some days are better than others! The kids and I walked at the track for 30 minutes Thursday night, and then we blew dandelion fluff. We KNOW how to party in our family.

Our newest cat, Sparrow, willingly jumped up on my lap with Sunshine. There is still the occasional hiss and raised paw, but overall the cats have made peace. In case you don't read my blog regularly, I've included a picture of our other cat, Herbie. 

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of tomato decorating - ever! Do you eat the decorated tomato? LOVE the puzzle predicting/inferring activity - great idea! Herbie the Cat is huge! Glad the new cat is fitting in, too!

    ReplyDelete