Friday, August 12, 2016

Five for Friday

A dysfunctional tent. A deflated air mattress. A skunk. The beach. Rain. We went camping this week with my good friend and her two girls. And, despite my list of "things gone wrong", we had an amazing time. I'll tell you all about it as I link up with Kacey at Doodlebugs Teaching for Five for Friday.

 
MONDAY
The teeny-tiny little blue tent is my son's. Last year, I slept in that tent with my two children. We were cramped! So this year, I brought a brand new tent for my daughter and I to sleep in. My husband suggested we set it up at home as a trial run. Did we? Nope. When we got there, it seemed that the tent was put together wrong. The legs wouldn't bend the right way. Perhaps it was a manufacturing issue. It's possible there was some user error. My friend pulled out tweezers and a Swiss Army knife and managed to reassemble it so it would at least go up and stay up. She was impressive. As you can see, it still wasn't quite right!
The first night, I DID NOT sleep well. My air mattress slowly deflated during the night until I was lying on the ground. While I tossed and turned, I heard scrabbling and smelled SKUNK! I was a little nervous about that, but thankfully the skunk moved on!

I ended up going out during the day on TUESDAY to buy a cot for me and a foam pad for my daughter. I'm happy to report  that my cot was very comfortable!
 
 
 
On Tuesday, we also managed to fit in not one but two beach trips! It was low tide, so the water wasn't too deep. 
 

Reading, coloring, riding scooters, and playing board games were some of our main activities. It was nice to just have time to relax.


We went out for ice cream on our last night.  The next day (WEDNESDAY) we woke up to slight drizzle at 6:00. We leapt up and started breaking everything down as fast as we could.  Just as we finished, it started to POUR. Perfect timing! 

Last year, most of our camping trip was completely rained out. You can read about it and see pictures here.

The final day of our camping trip was also my son's 13th birthday. We celebrated with presents and cake.

Happy Friday. Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. I am good on camping for about 10 years now that I read about your trip- ha! Does anyone ever sleep well in a tent? Glad you still had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you ended up having fun! That cake looks so yummy!!

    Katie
    Teaching Voracious Learners

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had fun! But after reading your post, I'm not so sure I'm meant for camping! :)

    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete