Sunday, May 29, 2016

Five for Friday


I'm linking up with Kacey at Doodlebugs Teaching for Five for Friday. And.... I'm late. Honestly, my post will be more like "Five for the Month of May". This month has been a whirlwind, so I haven't posted in ages. 



Reason #1 that my month was crazy:  Smarter Balanced Testing (our state-mandated testing) AND NWEA Testing. We started testing a week late, because our internet was down for a week!




Reason # 2 the month of May was crazy: Colonial Day. I enjoy Colonial Day at my school, and the kids do too. This year I dressed up, and you'll notice that I did NOT include a picture! The kids did colonial crafts, wrote with quill pens, made butter, and played indoor and outdoor colonial games. 



Reason #3 May was a whirlwind: The Rainbow Fish performance. Our music teacher is amazing. Each year, she prepares the 3rd graders for their show. Every class has a chance to play percussion instruments and recorders. Everyone sings. She even does vocal pieces with parts. As you can imagine, getting the kids ready requires several rehearsals. I'm pleased to report that the show was a great success. Our music teacher is not only a talented teacher. She made the rainbow fish as well!





Reason #4: STEM and VIP days.  We had an all-day STEM day on May 20th. Teams of students worked on challenges such as building a marble maze out of Legos and building boats. On May 25th, each child has a VIP visit our room. I prepped three different math stations for students to do with their VIPs.  You can read about the paint dabber game and grab free game sheets by hopping over to this blog post




Reason #5: Field trip to Old Sturbridge VillageWe went on Friday, and the trip felt like a year-end celebration. The students have worked SO hard on testing this month. It was so nice to just go and enjoy the day with them. 

All of these special days really did help to offset the testing. My students have been TROOPERS, and I'm so proud of their growth this year. 

Thanks for stopping by! 

2 comments:

  1. You've been very busy! Colonial Day looks like it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - what an exciting month (except for the testing!). I'd love to see how you dressed up for colonial day - what an amazing idea/day! I also love the Rainbow Fish - the show must have been amazing, too!

    ReplyDelete