Friday, April 15, 2016

Five for Friday

It's Friday, and I'm on spring break! I'm thrilled. My students and I can use the rest! Are any of you on break? I'm happy to be linking up with Kacey at Doodlebugs Teaching for Five for Friday.





We've been working on geometry. I started off with this great idea that Doris shared on her blog, Third Grade Thinkers. We used spaghetti and round cereal to create line segments, lines, points, and parallel lines. Food=Engagement. Always!



 

We've been steeping ourselves in geometry vocabulary. We made "angle makers" out of straws, pipe cleaners, and beads. The kids thought I was a genius. We also made "right angle testers" by coloring index cards for 30 seconds. Then, the students went around the room finding right angles. 





As part of our study of colonial Connecticut, we learned the Legend of the Charter Oak. My students could choose to demonstrate their knowledge by creating a comic strip, creating a poster with the story written on the leaves, or working collaboratively to write a script and present a skit of the legend. It's been a nutty week, but every student was able to tell me the legend and answer questions about it. We enjoyed our final skit today, so after vacation we'll be moving on.


Most mornings this week, my son made my coffee for me and placed it on the table wit my clean water cup. All I have to do is grab my cups and go! He's sweet. 

 
My anniversary is today! My husband made REALLY good steak, roasted potatoes, and mushrooms and had these flowers on the table when I got home. 

Thanks for visiting! Have a wonderful weekend. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jan! I just tracked down your blog. For some reason, I thought I was following you, and now I am officially your newest follower. You are always so kind to comment on my blog so I'm looking forward to reading yours - especially since you teach colonial times, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great spring break! I love the comic strips to show what they know, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your angle makers and testers, it's always great to see kids moving around and applying their knowledge! And what an angel your son is!

    ReplyDelete