Friday, April 8, 2016

Five for Friday

Happy weekend! Are any of you on spring break?  We have a full week of school next week. Our vacation begins Friday the 15th after the students go home. This week was a busy week, and I'm glad to share some of it by linking up with Kacey at Doodlebugs Teaching for Five for Friday. 





These photos are actually from last Friday (April Fool's Day). A couple of my boys were having the best time "fooling" me by leaving rubber insects and lizards on my chair and my desk. Of course, I let out a few mock shrieks for the class's enjoyment. 



Today, I gave the fraction test! Phew! It seems like we've been working on fractions for FOREVER. I'll need to keep providing regular review, but we get to move on and start geometry next week!



In other math-related news, I made these bug spinners with clip art by Krista Wallden.  The students have been spinning three factors and then multiplying. At times, they end up with challenging problems such as 49x5. I haven't taught them the traditional algorithm. What I have been doing is reviewing the Distributive Property of Multiplication and teaching them how to use it when they get those more difficult problems. 




We've been loving Literature Circles! The kids are extremely excited about the whole process, and I'm free to circulate and listen in on each discussion. The fact that we're reading Stone Fox is a big bonus. 
(I shared materials and a Stone Fox freebie in this post.) 
 
I found a great article and video on Dogo News about television programming for dogs! 


This has prompted a whole opinion writing project.  We watched a doggy daycare video on this website. We read about doggy daycares and invisible electric fencing. Now, the students will be figuring out their opinions about what's best for dogs. As you can imagine, the children have had a lot to say! 

Thanks for stopping by! Have a good weekend.  






3 comments:

  1. They always love when they think they "got you"...way to be a good sport! The dog opinion writing project is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bug spinners! Cute and engaging. I plan to make similar ones for my first graders to practice addition facts. Thanks for the ideas! New Bloglovin' follower!
    Joyce
    1st Grade Pandamania

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan,
    The dog opinion writing project is brilliant! Most kiddos love animals to start with and you've given them a legitimate writing topic. I'm sure they'll have lots to say!
    Tonya
    Storybook Endings

    ReplyDelete