Friday, February 26, 2016

Five for Friday

Happy Friday evening! Welcome to the weekend. I'm linking up with Kacey at Doodlebugs Teaching for Five for Friday. I encourage you to visit her blog and join in the fun. 






 

This week, my class has been reading Rosie: A Visiting Dog's Story with a focus on main ideas and details. To mix things up a bit, we created main idea headbands. We used a light bulb for the main idea and paw prints for the details. The original idea came from a unit by Kelly Dolling. I just adapted it to fit my theme. My students were so thrilled about their headbands that many of them wore them while writing their opinion pieces and when going to lunch. 

For more "dog themed" literacy, check out Dog Days Literacy Part One (informational text) and Dog Days Literacy Part Two (poetry and figurative language).  Both posts include links to freebies. 


In social studies, we've started to learn about colonial Connecticut. We started by comparing some colonial maps to a modern-day map. The students were so engaged while discussing the differences and similarities.






Chair-stealer!

My husband surprised me with a rocker/recliner! I'm loving it. The cats and the kids keep trying to hog it. I feel like Archie Bunker saying, "Get out of my chair!" I'm just kidding. I share. Most of the time.


My husband also surprised us with new Bibles.  We read together as a family every night, and it was complicated to have different versions. Gabrielle is SO thrilled to have a PURPLE  Bible with a RIBBON and HER NAME on it! Seth's is camo, which is just about his favorite thing right now. 

 


We started working on fractions this week. I had the students folding different shapes into equal parts. I even gave students a 9-inch long rectangle and asked them to discuss how it could be partitioned into thirds.  I was SO PROUD when they came up with the idea to use division to determine how long each section needed to be.



When I got to work Thursday morning I noticed THIS! It's not even March, but flowers are starting to sprout. 

Have a wonderful week, and thank you for visiting!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jan :) I loved all your photos in this week's post. I remember your unit on Rosie and so nice to see how keen the children are with their headbands on :) Cammo and purple bibles - how very up to the minute!! And what a super hubby to get you such a wonderful chair - enjoy relaxing in it over this weekend :) Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pictures from your main idea activity! Thank you for sharing.
    SimplyTeachSewGrow

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're picture of the sprouting flowers makes me so happy! We have our fingers crossed for warmer weather here too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're a little worried about sprouts here- we've had such a mild winter they are going to be up early. Some do better than others... having said that, I have to add that as of Thursday they are all under a foot of snow. There's no predicting what's coming next! See you next time. Kathleen

    ReplyDelete