Sunday, January 24, 2016

Pick A Tree To Throw Your Troubles Into


Job stress. Every profession has it.

As teachers we tend to worry about our students when things aren't going well, and it can leave us feeling discouraged and overwhelmed. Taking that worry home is easy to do. 

This week I brought home that discouraged and worried feeling more than once. It's important to care deeply about our students, but it's also important to rest and focus on our families once we walk through the doors of your own homes. 

I was reminded of advice my dad gave me a long time ago. My dad always worked two or three jobs to support our family. He worked full time in a thread mill, he stripped and waxed floors at a grocery store, he was a custodian, and he cooked at a restaurant and at a nursing home. He's had many, many jobs and he worked hard at all of them. At times, he got discouraged. 

HERE COMES THE ADVICE! My father told me that he picked out a tree at the end of our road. Whenever he would drive by it on the way home, he would "throw" his troubles into that tree. He figured he could pick up work responsibilities the next day, but he intended to enjoy his home and his family. It must have worked. My dad never made me feel that I was a burden or that he resented working hard for our family.
Do you just love the bib overalls?

My Dad and Gabrielle were rocking the harmonica duet!  Wasn't she a cute little peanut?
 Here's a bit more advice about worry, this time from the book of Matthew. It's a passage I read over and over again!

Which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble
-Matthew 6:27-34


Have a wonderful and worry-free week. Thanks for stopping by.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment