Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Christmas Cats & Elf Explanations

Explaining mathematical thinking is always tricky for kids, so I came up with a seasonal idea to get them excited about it. 


Explain it to the elf!



Students wrote a friendly letter to a quickly-crafted elf explaining multiplication concepts and vocabulary. Click here to grab a free copy of the "Explain it to the Elf" sheets I created. I've left it extremely open-ended so you can adapt the task to your grade level. Some possible prompts could ask students to explain:
  • how to round a number using a number line
  • how to estimate a sum or difference using rounding
  • why an answer is reasonable (or NOT reasonable)
  • how to add or subtract with regrouping
Now for the "Christmas cats" portion of this post. This is what my two cats, Sunshine and Herbie, have been doing almost constantly since we set up the tree. 



My husband gets all the credit for the gorgeous photos! Happy Wednesday! I hope the rest of your week goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment