Saturday, November 7, 2015

Five for Friday

I'm loving that it's the weekend. My week was great, but it felt long! It was nice to sleep in and go out to lunch today. I'm linking up with Kacey at Doodlebugs Teaching for Five for Friday.



 We've started working on reading multisyllabic words with common prefixes. Many third graders have a bad habit of either guessing or coming to a dead stop when they encounter longer, unfamiliar words. Working on prefixes and suffixes should help with that while also building vocabulary.
 

I introduced a unit on addition with regrouping and was thrilled to realize that my students TOTALLY REMEMBER IT FROM 2ND GRADE! I quickly pulled out the foam dice and had students roll and add.  I circulated around checking work and encouraging many students to challenge themselves. For some students, I provided dice that went up to 9 so they would need to regroup more often.
 

My students have been learning about Connecticut Native American tribes and their history. My teaching assistant brought in a black bear skin for the students to examine. It prompted some interesting discussion, and there was LOTS of petting.


The children just finished writing the suspense portion of their turkey point-of-view stories. I thought this one was particularly cute. In case you can't read it, it says, "In the blink of an eye I saw cars pulling in the driveway with frying pans in their backseats." Another student described his turkey's fear by writing, "I thought my heart would pound right out of my feathered chest!" Their stories are hilarious so far. I can't wait to see what they come up with next!

 
This coming Tuesday will be a whole-school pajama day. I've decided to just embrace the silliness.  I bought new puppy dog pajama bottoms, a long-sleeved black tee-shirt, and some fuzzy slippers with pompoms.  My son wanted me to buy Oscar the Grouch pajama bottoms. Do you think he was trying to tell me something? I'm sharing this photo now, because I will NOT be sharing a photo of me wearing these!

Have a great week! Stop by Doodlebugs Teaching to see more fun Five for Friday posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment