Friday, October 30, 2015

What a Week Five for Friday

Costume parade... Party... DRAs... Math test... What a week it's been! I'm glad it's Friday, and I'm happy to be linking up with Kacey at Doodlebugs Teaching for Five for Friday. Unfortunately, I once again kept forgetting to take photos!





My colleague had each of his students write a persuasive letter from a pumpkin's point of view. The children brainstormed reasons why someone would want a particular type of pumpkin to make a Jack O'Lantern. Then, they thought of reasons someone would NOT want a particular pumpkin. The students wrote persuasive letters trying to convince the farmer NOT to pick them.  One of our very talented and creative paraprofessionals put up this bulletin board.


In my classroom, we've started a unit on narrative writing. My co-teacher and I have taught about techniques for writing entertaining beginnings. We've also reviewed using the five senses and specific details to write vivid descriptions.  Each story will be written from the point of view of a turkey, and there must be a problem or an adventure.  We did a bit of turkey research so we could pull a few facts into our narratives.  One great resource is Second Grade Stories' Turkey Talk: A Nonfiction Mini-Unit.  I also discovered a FUN AND FREE mp3 by Jim Arnosky. It's called I'm a Turkey, and it's catchy and full of turkey facts. There's a book, as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Im-Turkey-Jim-Arnosky/dp/0439903645/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446163057&sr=8-1&keywords=i%27m+a+turkey



This week, I pulled out some fairy tales written from different points of view. The students read them, discussed them, and wrote about them while I pulled kids to give DRAs one-on-one.  Engaging and valuable!  What was on our reading list?  
I also happened upon a brief video inspired by Jon Scieszka's version.  The kids loved it! The wolf only LOOKS terrifying! Really!


As an aside, there are also different versions of Jack and the Beanstalk. To grab a freebie passage, click here.  

Today we had our annual costume parade and party.  I don't actually celebrate Halloween, so it's not really my favorite thing.  The kids, however, have a ball. Today they had very high energy levels and very big smiles. The photo is of my principal. 

Now that Halloween is behind us, I've pulled out the Thanksgiving books! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  I've already read aloud Turk and Runt: A Thanksgiving Comedy by Lisa Wheeler. The idea was to inspire students as they write their own turkey stories.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1416907149?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Do you have any favorite Thanksgiving books? I'm always looking for new titles, so please share!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun week you have had - I bet you are glad that the weekend is here.
    Paula’s Place

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Turk and Runt! Thanks for the shout out, friend! - Lisa

    ReplyDelete