Saturday, September 12, 2015

Five for Friday

School is in full swing, but the students and I have only JUST started to get into a routine.  I don't have very many Five for Friday photos this week! I was just too busy!  Thanks once again to Kacey at Doodlebugs Teaching for hosting this fun weekly linky.






I like to start off the school year focusing on reading comprehension strategies. I introduced the strategy of determining importance.  We started off with some amazing materials from the creative and knowledgeable Christina DeCarbo. (Click here to see the product in her store.)  Then, we applied the strategy to fiction text.  Students read Officer Buckle and Gloria. Then, with partners, they sorted quotes from the story into two columns: "Most Important" and "Fun and Interesting But Less Important".  




During our science block, as an introduction to our tree unit, we read The Secret Life of Trees. Then, we once again "determined importance".  The sorting sheet is from Christina DeCarbo's product.  I typed up portions of text from the book to sort.  



We read about deciduous and coniferous trees using a compare/contrast nonfiction passage from my Leafy Literacy Activities pack. Then, students sorted color photos of trees.  Since I was so busy circulating and asking students to explain their sorting decisions, I have no photos of them at work!  



Last year, I read an excellent blog post by Jen Jones of Hello Literacy. She suggested using puzzles and famous artwork to teach the difference between predicting and making inferences. (Click here to read the blog post.) This week, I purchased these puzzles at the dollar store. Students will work in small groups. I'll give each group a few pieces of their puzzle but not the box. I'll ask them to write a prediction of what the picture will be along with the reasons for their predictions.  Then, groups will check to see if our predictions are correct by assembling the puzzles. 



Score!  I was browsing through Ocean State Job Lot with my kids and found this audiobook on sale for $3.99! Of course, I first learned about the Ron Clark Academy by reading teaching blogs. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to listen to what he had to say. If you read my blog, you might know that I like to listen to audiobooks during my 40 minute commute. This is my latest!

Have a wonderful week! Thanks for stopping by. 







1 comment:

  1. That Ron Clark audio book was a steal! I really like your chart for sorting important information and extra information.
    Casey
    CasedillaCrumbs

    ReplyDelete