Friday, September 18, 2015

Finally on Time Five for Friday

It's been a whirlwind of a week. My class is hilarious and high-energy!  I need to eat my Wheaties to keep up with them!   I'm thrilled that it's Friday, and I'm on time with my post. Starting during the week and working on it a bit at a time is the key! Thank you, Kacey (from Doodlebugs Teaching) for hosting this weekly linky.





As I walked into work Tuesday morning, I greeted our head custodian who has been at the school longer than I have. (A long time!) He's well-read, intelligent, hardworking, winningly sarcastic, and a hoot.  I happened to notice that his shirt sported a very important-sounding phrase: Department of Garbology. I asked if I could take a photo. He insisted that I take an action shot!








We've been working on predicting this week.  Using an idea I got from Jen Jones of Hello Literacy, I used puzzles to introduce the concept that predictions can and SHOULD be checked. Small groups of students received four puzzle pieces each.  They needed to examine the pieces and predict what the completed puzzle would look like. They wrote about their predictions and the clues they used to make them. I assigned a writer for each group.  Then, each group received the rest of their puzzle pieces with no picture to guide them. They worked together to assemble the puzzle and see if their predictions were accurate. Next, we discussed how what we learned applied to reading. The students "turned and talked" about how you would check your predictions when you read.  Some of the students even came up with little chants such as "turn the page....just turn the page...".  Others were more specific and said you had to keep reading.  One child suggested going to the end of the book and peeking! I fully intended to share the prediction sheet with you, but it's saved on my computer at work!  I'll be back to share next week. I promise!
  


I brought home quite a lot of correcting this week.  Usually I sit on the couch with a cup of tea and my mug of correcting pens.  I turn on some show I've already seen (usually Gilmore Girls).  Since I've seen the episodes before, it doesn't matter if I'm not paying much attention to them! Here, Sunshine and Herbie are "helping" me. 


When I arrived at work this morning, I decided to stop and take a quick picture of these cute scarecrows.  I'm not sure if a staff member or a parent decided to make this area so welcoming, but it's appreciated!



Gabrielle's dream come true....her own TAPE DISPENSER!  She's also been given a ration of tape.  She kept using all of ours. When we ran out, she added it to the shopping list on the refrigerator.  She now has her very own tape, and is NOT allowed to touch ours!

Photos of classroom happenings are slim this week! My class is so much fun, but they are a very hands-on group!  They keep me hopping. I'm exhausted but having a blast with them. 

Enjoy your weekend, and thanks for stopping by!



2 comments:

  1. I do the same thing with my schoolwork - turn on a show I've already seen so I can listen but I don't have to actually watch. It makes grading papers so much more pleasant! And I know what you mean about the tape. My 8 year old son could go through a roll of tape in about 30 minutes. Lately he has been obsessed with using duct tape. Sometimes, he gets it as a reward. :)
    Crystal
    www.crystalclearteaching.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun activity for predicting! Adding it to my bag of tricks.

    ReplyDelete