Sunday, September 20, 2015

Erupting Voices Paragraph Writing

Interrupting! It's SO exhausting when you have a class with lots chatters and blurters.  And we usually do, right? I've been addressing blurting in my room. We're making slow progress!  I'd say slow and steady progress, but that would be a big, fat lie.  It's more like one step forward and two steps back!




One technique that's been helpful is the Whole Brain Teaching approach to rules.  I ignore some sporadic blurting. Many kids will take the hint and stop once they realize I'm only responding to the students who have raised their hands. 

When kids keep blurting, I say cheerfully and enthusiastically, "Rule number two!" The kids each put two fingers in the air, then drop their hands down next to their lips and make their hands "talk". As they do these gestures they say, "Raise your hand for permission to speak!"  We practice saying it over and over in cheerful, helpful voices. As one of my students puts it, we shouldn't say the rule "snottily". 

We also read My Mouth is a Volcano by Julia Cook. Twice.  Another book we read was What If Everybody Did That? by Ellen Javernick.  The students brainstormed ideas about what would happen if everybody interrupted everyone else.  Then, they wrote paragraphs. I can take NO credit for the amazing idea to combine back-to-school books with paragraph writing lessons.  Ashleigh, from Ashleigh's Education Journey, created a thorough and excellent mini-unit.  The materials and ideas came from her! Click here to grab the product in her store. 



I have a wonderful parent volunteer who will hang the students' paragraphs in the hall.  My daughter helped me make a volcano to add to the board as well. It has glitter. What more could you ask for in a paper volcano?






Gabrielle insisted on having her mouth open. Her mouth is a volcano. Get it? Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week.











1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jan!
    I contacted you earlier on TPT about the 3rd grade sub plans. My email is h.rowley@elwoodschool.com
    Thanks! :)
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete