Sunday, August 30, 2015

SO LATE Five for Friday

How can three days with students feel so LONG?  My new class is adorable, energetic, and fun. Some are a bit sassy! I love them already.  The first three days are rough, though!  The children are not used to being in a classroom all day. (Particularly a hot classroom!)  I'm linking up with Doodlebugs Teaching with a few highlights from my first week back at school.





Monday and Tuesday were filled with meetings, professional development, and curriculum work. The laminator at work was broken, but my husband saved the day! He bought this and laminated all of my nametags. He's the best!




I got this card for my friend who teaches across the hall.  Last year, one of her students spelled turtle "T-U-R-D-l-e".  We found this hilarious, so our new exasperated phrase is, "Oh, turdle." 




Having playdough out on the first day was SUCH a great idea. Lisa at Second Grade Stories blogged about giving her students playdough as their first "morning work". I decided to try it, and I'm so glad.  The children were relaxed and quietly chatting right from the start. It gave me a chance to move around the room and talk with everyone, and I didn't have twenty nervous pairs of eyes staring at me like I was about to swallow them whole!



On the first student day of school (Wednesday), two bags of brand new tennis balls for my chairs were left on my table. I was very glad. Last year, the old ones kept falling off and were really, REALLY dirty.  Several times a week, a child would bring me a filthy tennis ball covered in scuzz and hair and say, "This fell off my chair" or "I found this".  Ew.  I was too tired after school Wednesday to put all of those tennis balls on. So I procrastinated. I promised myself I would do it Thursday. Or maybe Friday.  But, when I arrived Thursday morning ALL OF THE TENNIS BALLS WERE ON MY CHAIRS! I can't even describe how happy I was.  I suspect it was our wonderful custodian. She is such a blessing. She also changes my date for me, because I always forget. She has lovely handwriting.





On the second day of school, I read Mr Peabody's Apples. The lesson in the story is to be careful what you say, especially when you don't have all the facts. In the story, a boy assumes the worst about his teacher and spreads rumors. At the end, he realizes that his teacher is blameless and that there is really no way to completely undo the damage he's done. The teacher provides an object lesson by having the boy cut open a feather pillow case and release all of the feathers into the wind. Then, he asks the boy to retrieve all of the feathers. As a follow-up, we did the "toothpaste squirt" activity. Students worked in small groups to squeeze all of the toothpaste out of a travel-sized tube. Then, I instructed them to put ALL of the toothpaste back.  They quickly realized that it's impossible. It's also impossible to take back lies and hurtful words. You can apologize, but you can never completely undo the damage.  The recording sheet we used was a freebie created by Jamie from Diary of a Not So Wimpy Teacher. Click here to go the blog post with the link. 

It's almost 9 p.m. on Sunday night, and I'm finally ready to post this! I'll be in my room bright and early tomorrow! Have a good week. Thanks for stopping by!




















1 comment:

  1. Oh my! I love the toothpaste activity! What a great hands-on activity to help get the point across about how important our words are with others. Hope you are having lots of laughter in your room this year! ;-)
    - Lisa

    ReplyDelete