Sunday, August 23, 2015

Sneezing Practice

Sneeze into your elbow, please!  Please cover your sneeze!  Do you find yourself saying that often? Last year, during Smarter Balanced testing, one of my THIRD GRADERS sneezed right on the keyboard! So gross!  

Lately my daughter has been forgetting to cover her sneezes. She'd sneeze on her breakfast. She'd sneeze all over my car. She'd sneeze on the cat.  

Fortunately, I read Whole Brain Teaching for Challenging Kids by Chris Biffle this summer. If you are at all familiar with WBT, you know that rehearsing the rules in a fun and engaging way is a big component. I was inspired!

The other day, the kids and I were going somewhere. I stopped for gas, and my daughter sneezed all over my backseat.  Gross. Gross. Gross. I was tempted to have a fit and give her yet another talking-to about how nasty that is.  Instead, I had her practice sneezing into her elbow twenty times. My son counted.  




I'm happy to report that practicing helped!  We'll have to practice periodically! I might just have my students practice in class as well!  Maybe NEXT year nobody will sneeze on the keyboards.  

If you're interested in learning more about Whole Brain Teaching, I highly recommend Chris Biffle's book. There's also a fabulous and free website.  

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I'm a big fan of WBT and making them practice as well...and you can apply it to anything, lol!

    ReplyDelete