Friday, May 15, 2015

Five for Friday Plus a Freebie

Another week is over, so I'm linking up with Kacey at Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday!




I blogged about Herbie on Wednesday. He's hilarious, and Sunshine seems to like him well enough. A few minutes ago, Herbie pounced right on top of Sunshine. It was entertaining!






I'm trying desperately to wrap up our unit on area!  We've had so many disruptions to our schedule. 
We spent two weeks working on state testing. The children have also been practicing for their upcoming concert on May 21st. I've missed several math blocks, so I'm feeling the pressure!  On Monday, we were working with standard units. The kids created shapes on grid paper with areas of 20 square centimeters and 20 square inches. Then, we went outside and used measuring sticks and chalk to create 1 square yard and 1 square meter. 








During our reading block, we've been focusing on text features and reading nonfiction texts about weather, climate, and the water cycle.  Some students had extra time, so I pulled out a fabulous freebie created by Lisa at Second Grade Stories. [To get her freebie and to read about how Lisa used this with her class, click here.]  The children read a nonfiction text about weather and used the "Coding My Thinking" sheet to record their thoughts and their learning. 




On Mother's Day, we went to a nursery to get a plant for my mother-in-law. There was a pond with exactly one duck. It was a low-key Mother's Day since my little girl was not feeling at all well later in the afternoon.  



Here's a quick freebie I created for practicing spelling words. Click here or on the image above to grab it. 

Have a great weekend! I have 24 school days left. How about you?














1 comment:

  1. We have been working on area and perimeter too! It has taken a long, long time! There is so much to cover in third grade, but the good news is that those fourth grade teachers are going to be very happy next year!

    My Rainy Day Creations

    ReplyDelete