Friday, March 20, 2015

First Day of Spring Five for Friday

Happy Friday! Head over to visit Kacey at Doodle Bugs Teaching for more Five for Friday posts. 




It's the first day of spring, and it's snowing!  I'm not too upset about it, because I'm determined that this will be the last snow until 2016!  If only my determination could make it so. 



My friend/team-teaching partner discovered this book. Her daughter had borrowed it from the library. It was so great that we both immediately ordered it from Amazon. Five children cried when we read it. We had a deep classroom discussion that involved lots of tissues and nose-blowing.  A brief dance party followed so we could all recover.  




This idea came from the Envisions math curriculum that our school is using. It really helped my students make the jump from fraction bars to using a single number line to show equivalent fractions. Our geometry unit is up next.  I'd welcome any fabulous ideas you would like to share. Leave me a comment!




My daughter Gabrielle spent at least two hours last night writing her own cookbook in an old composition book. I felt slightly guilty for not correcting her backward j and for not insisting that she write a bit more neatly. She was so excited that I decided to just let her enjoy herself.  The top photo is of the "blurb" on the back. She wrote it and adhered it with a gluestick. Blurb was the exact word she used!  





As I was looking for the photos of Gabrielle's cookbook, I accidentally clicked on the wrong folder and opened these photos from 2010.  My kids look so little!  Gabrielle was not even 2.  Seth was 6.  I haven't looked at these pictures in years, and they made me smile.

Have a restful weekend. I plan to tackle my bag of word tomorrow. Tonight I'm just hanging out! Head over to Doodle Bugs Teaching if you'd like to find more Five for Friday posts. 



1 comment:

  1. Awww! Such cuties! She's got me humgry for some jam cookies! You know I never heard of that book. We do a rescue dog unit and fundraiser for community service every year. I think this would be a nice addition to our collection! Thanks for sharing Jan!

    Jeannine
    Creative Lesson Cafe

    ReplyDelete