Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Wordless Wednesday

It's midweek, so it's time to link up with Miss DeCarbo at Sugar and Spice for Wordless Wednesday. I always look forward to this one, but I have a lot of trouble being wordless!




We've been teaching one affix per week during reading. We spend a few minutes per day working on vocabulary related to the affix.  This was a quick and fun activity that I came up with to practice words with the prefix, sub.  I broadened our discussion by asking questions such as, "Which words are adjectives? What could those words describe?"   

I plan to read Word Nerds by Brenda J. Overturf, Leslie Montgomery, & Margot Holmes Smith and Bringing Words to Life by Isabel L. Beck, Margaret G. McKeown, & Linda Kucan.  
  



How do you teach vocabulary?  Have you read Word Nerds or Bringing Words to Life?  I'd love to hear your ideas in the comments.

Enjoy the rest of your week!






4 comments:

  1. Love this activity! I was thinking of purchasing "Bringing Words to Life." It's on my Amazon wishlist. Is it good? - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! What I've read so far is good. I haven't gotten very far, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever activity! I haven't read those, but I'm a big fan of Isabel Beck.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your art work, it looks so colourful.

    ReplyDelete