Friday, January 9, 2015

TIRED Five for Friday

Phew! I was very tired this morning.  This first week back from vacation went well, but it tuckered me out.  I'm so glad to be home and relaxing with the family on a Friday night.  Chicken soup is simmering.  My husband is making a pizza. My kids are happily playing.  It's the perfect time to link up with Kacey at Doodle Bugs Teaching for her weekly Five for Friday party.






We've done several persuasive pieces this year and some different types of expository pieces. Now, we're beginning to work on narrative.  Several years ago, our district provided training in the Empowering Writers program.  The program was developed by teachers.  They studied what successful writers do and used that research to develop their techniques.  The program is research-based and effective. My students have been very successful, and I LOVE to teach writing now. Instead of trying to explain it all, I'm including some links to their site. 





We've started to study theme.  A few years ago, I attended a conference where the presenter defined theme as "what the author wants you to know about people".  That's now how I teach it to my students.  We started our theme wall.  I posted several common themes in 3rd grade language.  We discussed previously-read literature and decided which theme each title fit with.  The students actually chose different themes than I would have.  I went along with their choices, because they were able to support their decisions with specific details from the text.  Images of the book covers were posted beneath the themes.  Let me just say that I know this "theme wall" needs some TLC.  I had 20 minutes left of my planning period and had to work with what I had!




We've been working on division all week.  The top image is something that I created. You can grab it (along with other printables) by clicking here.  The second image shows a fabulous interactive notebook product created by Blair Turner.  Click here to see it in her store.  




We read Turtle Bay by Saviour Pirotta.  It's a favorite of mine because of the "learn from your elders" focus.  Children learning to value and respect the elderly is important to me.  We did repeated readings of the story and focused on theme and character traits.  Next week, we'll start researching the life cycle of sea turtles. We'll start by using One Tiny Turtle by Nicola Davies.





In the middle of writing this blog post, I took a break to eat THIS!  Homemade chicken soup!  I just might need to have another bowl later.  It snowed today, and it's cold.  Perfect soup weather!

Have a wonderful weekend, and don't forget to visit Doodle Bugs Teaching to read more Five for Friday posts.  


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love your theme wall! We are working on theme right now and I may have to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete