Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Groundhoggy Goodness

Groundhogs are cute, even if they can't predict the weather.  For several years, there was a groundhog that visited my yard every spring.  His name was George, and I always looked forward to seeing him.

Since I like groundhogs--and because I'm a celebrator--I am planning to incorporate some groundhoggy fun into my lessons and centers next week! There's a Groundhog Day freebie for you at the end.  Here's what we'll be doing:


I'll use one of my writing blocks to show a brief informative video about groundhogs and Groundhog Day.  Then, we'll spend time writing opinion pieces. Do we want 6 more weeks of winter?  Do we want spring to arrive soon? This will be a quick and fun way to review writing opinion pieces.   I found a great freebie on Teachers Pay Teachers created by Jennifer Findley. You can download it from her store by clicking here or on the image below.


Here's the video I will definitely use. It's short, sweet, and informative!





Lisa at Second Grade Stories has created an excellent nonfiction mini-unit about groundhogs.  It's very versatile and includes several activities.  I plan to use it for literacy centers. I'm still deciding whether to project the full-sized pages onto my Smartboard or whether to print out the half pages for students to share.  You can see the unit in her store by clicking here or on the image below. 



Stephanie at 3rd Grade Thoughts has created Groundhog Day Word Work centers. They're really perfect for grade 3, because the vocabulary is challenging but attainable. Last year, my students were elbow-deep in dictionaries and having a BLAST doing the activities in small groups.  You can see the product in Stephanie's store by clicking here or on the image below. 



I've discovered an extremely well-done, kid-friendly, free, engaging website called 
Groundhogs at Hoghaven. The site debuted in January 1998.  Here's a screenshot:


There are groundhogs photos, sounds, videos, and a quiz!  I'll be using this website to model for students how to use website features such as key words, sidebars, and hyperlinks (Common Core State Standard RI.3.5).  


Finally, the FREEBIE!  We've been working on division along with multiplication/division fact families. Students always need lots of practice with this.  I created some task cards with Groundhog Day clip art to provide additional practice with multiplication & division fact families.  They'll be included in one of my math centers the week before Groundhog Day.  

These task cards were intended to be used for fact families, but they could easily be used for basic multiplication facts, related multiplication facts, or even repeated addition.  You can grab these free task cards by clicking here or on the image below. 

I have another product that can be used anytime in my Teachers Pay Teachers store.  It includes a set of task cards very similar to the freebie plus nine related worksheets for practice, homework, or formative assessment. You can find the materials in my store by clicking here or on the product cover below.  


I also have a similar product for addition and subtraction fact families.  It also comes with task cards and nine additional practice sheets. Click here or on the product cover to see it in my store. 



Happy Groundhog Day!

The cute groundhog numbers were created with clip art 
designed by Ashley Hughes and Melonheadz.  
























No comments:

Post a Comment