Friday, January 23, 2015

Five for Friday

Happy Friday, everyone!  Last week I missed this linky, so I'm going to cheat a little and share things from the past TWO weeks.  Thanks once again to Kacey from Doodle Bugs Teaching for hosting Five for Friday.







We are continuing to read about turtles.  We started with Turtle Bay and One Tiny Turtle.  Now, we've moved onto expository text.  The students read Turtle Talk with partners yesterday. It's a leveled book that came as part of the reading series our district purchased 11 years ago. It's actually quite good!  Today, students met in small groups to begin researching a turtle or tortoise.  There are four groups:  the snapping turtle group, the leatherback sea turtle group, the painted turtle group, and the Galapagos tortoise group.  It was kind of crazy and loud today, but everyone was engaged and interested. We'll be using the laptops next week to further our studies.



We've been practicing and practicing and practicing our multiplication and division skills!  I want my students to really be fluent with their facts and to understand the relationship between multiplication and division.  One of the activities we did was a "Solve the Room" activity to practice multiplication and division fact families.  They love anything that gets them moving!  You can find the task cards and related practice sheets here.  




I shared previously that the students were beginning a narrative story about a snow monster adventure. Last week, we focused on writing entertaining beginnings. (More about that here.)  We also focused on techniques for adding descriptive detail and suspense.  This week, students have been working on their "main event".  We modeled how to use the techniques. The students have been busy drafting their stories.  One of my favorite times in the classroom is when soft music is playing and every child is busily writing.  It's the best.




My kids and I have been doing devotions most nights.  Gabrielle reminds me faithfully. She LOVES her devotional book and has already told me that she wants another when we finish it. 

It's a little harder to be consistent with Seth.  He is often busy doing things up until it's time for him to shower.  I need to be more diligent about setting that time aside with him. Seth and I have been reading The Hiding Place together. It's an autobiographical account of Corrie ten Boom's life.  She and her family hid Jewish people in their home during the Nazi occupation of Holland and were sent to a concentration camp.  It sounds depressing, but it isn't.  Truly.  She was an amazing lady.




I came home to homemade pizza and peanut butter dream bars!  They were, well......dreamy.  My husband spoils me rotten, and I truly appreciate it!  

Don't forget to head over to Doodle Bugs Teaching to read other bloggers' weekly happenings.  Have a great weekend!  






















1 comment:

  1. THose peanut butter dream bars look like they are to die for! I love that you make time each night to read with your kids. So important/

    Brynn Allison
    The Literary Maven

    ReplyDelete