Sunday, January 11, 2015

Differentiating Division

In a recent post, I shared about how I introduced division to my students. When I analyzed the pretest I'd given, it turned out that only two children seemed to have very little understanding of division. There were several other students who had some understanding.  There were 6 students who seemed to have a fairly solid grasp of basic division.




To begin, everyone completed some interactive notebook activities.  The activities I use were created by Blair Turner.  The top photo is supposed to be a flapbook, but I precut it incorrectly! So, we improvised.  I always partially precut  to save class time.  You can see the fabulous flapbook activities in Blair's Teachers Pay Teachers store by clicking here or on the image below.


Next, we split into groups and started the differentiated portion of the lesson.

I began with the students who had little or no understanding.  These students met me on the carpet with dry erase materials.  I gave each student a pile of buttons.  We solved several division problems using the circles and buttons. Once we got rolling, lots of students started to simply use skip counting or related multiplication facts to solve the problems.  Some chose to keep using the buttons throughout our time together.  Please excuse the blurry photo and the scratched white board!  My students love their white boards, even if they are old.


I'm fortunate to have a paraprofessional in my room during math this year, and she's fantastic.  That certainly helps with differentiation! I had her work with the students who had a fairly solid understanding of division. These students played a game, which I purchased from Katie May.  This game allows students to practice dividing whole numbers using basic computation, word problems, and dividing shapes into equal groups You can grab it from her Teachers Pay Teachers store by clicking here or on the product cover image below.





Next week, I'll do a quick review to get my students' brains warmed up after the weekend!  Then, I'll have them complete some problems so that I can reassess what they know.

Have a good week!


No comments:

Post a Comment