Saturday, December 13, 2014

Five for Friday

I miss linking up with Kacey from Doodle Bugs Teaching.  She's taking a break from Five for Friday for a little while.  Despite the lack of linky, I plan to share five things from my week.  It's just fun!


The students wrote Christmas letters. We then placed the final copies of the letters into construction paper cards.  I didn't take photos, but I thought I'd share one of my student's letters:

Dear Mom and Dad, 
     You've done so much for me. I am going to tell you all the stuff you've done for me.  First, I'm going to start with dad. You have bought me a 1,200 dollar Suzuki quad and then you fixed it for $2,000 and I am so thankful for that. 
     Now Mom, I am so glad for all those clothes you bought because if you hadn't I'd be wearing a potato sack and I would not enjoy that.  Also if I did not have you, I would have to live like the Pilgrims and hunt my food and that could take forever. Plus we would have to make cloth.

So precious, right?  Of course, the best thing about his letter is his heart.  I also love that he included a topic sentence and organized his thanks so that Mom and Dad each had a section.  And, of course, he pulled in some of the facts we'd learned when we read about Pilgrims!  He made my day.



NWEA MAP testing this week!  We worked in our own classroom with the laptops, which was nice. Grant money purchased 3 laptop carts for our district, and it's been great.  We should have been finished with testing yesterday, but we could not get onto the website.  So, there will be more testing next week. 



I want to get my students more involved with goal-setting. It's one of those things that I intended to do, but the time escaped me.  I did create these little charts for motivation so kids could shoot for more points than last time on each test.  It was very motivating. In the fall, one student completed his entire reading test in 13 minutes.  This time, he slowed down and was more thoughtful.  His score went up by 21 points. I know scores aren't everything, but I do want my students to be successful. 



Krista Wallden has been sharing weekly holiday freebies in her Teachers Pay Teachers store.  Along with each freebie comes a Selfless Challenge.  This week, I created little notes with the clip art to surprise my family with. I also created some gift tags for my students' presents.  I purchased holiday Geronimo Stilton books from Scholastic for them.  You can grab a copy of the gift tags by clicking here or on the image below.






As I promised last week, I'm sharing some photos from our family gingerbread-house-building competition.  My husband and son made the sleigh with the Yoda-headed Santa and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Penguin.  Look closely.  You'll see it. The pink, Hello Kitty house was created by Gabrielle and me.  

Have a great week! Enjoy your last few days with students before the break.  They're squirrely but fun this time of year!



No comments:

Post a Comment