Thursday, November 6, 2014

Turkey Time Activities


I love November!  I'm not sure why, but I think it may be my favorite month.  My daughter and I have birthdays four days apart in November.  And, of course, there's Thanksgiving!  Since this is my favorite month, I thought I'd share some of the things I love to do during November.

My friend/co-teacher and I are having the students in our inclusion writing class compose an expository piece about turkeys.  We started with some research.  We listened to turkey sounds.  Did you know that only the males gobble?  I used an absolutely fabulous product from Lisa at Second Grade Stories as an introduction:  Turkeys: A Nonfiction Mini-Unit.  The students were hooked right away.



We read a nonfiction article about turkeys with partners and began to take notes on turkey appearance, what turkeys eat, and on other surprising facts.  We modeled writing a few words and NOT copying word-for-word from the text.  Students worked with partners to read and pull facts from the text.  We'll be writing a 5-paragraph piece on turkeys that will probably take us another week or two,  

One of the things that the students really enjoyed was listening to a song by Jim Arnosky called I'm a Turkey!  There's a book, but I don't own it.  I just went to Scholastic to play the song.  For free!  You can find and listen to the MP3 by clicking [here],




My students have been enjoying a pumpkin roll, round, and color activity that can be downloaded for free from my Teachers Pay Teachers store by clicking [here].  I created a turkey version of the activity to keep the activity fresh. Just click [here] or on the image below to grab it!







No comments:

Post a Comment