Friday, November 28, 2014

Five for Friday

Happy Friday!  I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and have been enjoying the time off.  A big thank you to Kacey at Doodle Bugs Teaching for hosting the Five for Friday linky.




I am NOT a Black Friday shopper. Too crazy! I like to stay home in my sweats, hang out with my family, and drink hot tea with honey.  I AM sometimes a Cyber Monday shopper, though.  Teachers Pay Teachers is having a sitewide Super Cyber Monday sale on December 1st and 2nd.  My entire store will be 20% off. If you use the code TPTCYBER at checkout, you get an additional 10% off. I've already added some great reading fluency products to my cart that I want to purchase, print, and laminate.  



Our students earned another whole-school reward. This time, they voted for "blackout day". Students who wanted to participate wore all black.  I wish I could show you the kids' faces in this picture, because they are priceless.  The class has really come together as a community that cares.  It's a wonderful thing to see!






We've been taking notes in our math spirals.  I like that the spirals serve as a reference.  It's sort of like having a notebook with mini anchor charts. Next week, I plan to use some of Blair Turner's interactive notebook activities.  If you haven't seen these, you really DO want to check them out.  I've also created two different solve-the-room activities for multiplying one-digit numbers by multiples of ten.  The Christmas version can be purchased in my store.  The winter version is a forever freebie, which you can also get in my store. If you are interested, just click on the images below to take you to the products.  







To introduce the concept of multiplying one-digit numbers by multiples of ten, I placed materials around the room with directions on sticky notes.  Examples:  
  • Show 30 x 3 using beads and pipe cleaners
  • Show 80 X 5 using tiles and plates
  • Show 30 x 4 using the links
  • Show 20 x 4 using buttons and cups
The children worked with partners to figure out how to show each equation using the materials. Then, they had to solve the problems on dry erase boards.  I gave as little direction as possible. It really showed me who had a strong grasp of the meaning of multiplication and who didn't.  Above, you can see the work that one student did on his dry erase board.  On his own, he realized that 40 x 2 and 20 x 4 have the same product. 





Happy Birthday to Gabrielle! She turned 6 on Tuesday.  She was born 4 days after my birthday.  I always say that she was my birthday present and Thanksgiving blessing, all rolled into one!  She chose Fruit Loops, bananas, and pineapple for her birthday breakfast.

Don't forget to visit Doodle Bugs Teaching to read more Five for Friday posts.  Have a wonderful weekend!  



No comments:

Post a Comment