Friday, November 21, 2014

Five for Friday

Thanksgiving is almost here! I love getting together with family and having a four-day weekend!  Oh, and I love turkey.  A lot.  I'm celebrating Friday by linking up with Kacey at Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday.




It's my birthday today.  I thought throwing a sale would be a fun way to celebrate.  My entire store will be 15% off from today until November 24th.  If you're interested in any sale shopping, click on the image for a quick link to my store




On Tuesday, we had a fantastic assembly.  Some puppeteers from Red Herring Puppets came.  The show they performed was called Adventures in Folklore, and it was excellent. They performed several stories. I was thrilled that they shared The Three Little Pigs and Jack and the Beanstalk.  In a prior post, I explained how we used these traditional tales and some NOT so traditional tales to explore point of view.  



Our Christmas Shoeboxes have been dropped off for delivery.  Gabrielle and Seth each made 3 cards to place in the shoeboxes. I'll be able to find out where my packages went after they are shipped. That will be exciting.  If you missed the post about Operation Christmas Child, you can click here to read about it. 

 




A very efficient and delightful parent volunteer came into my room from 1-3 on Tuesday.  She cut, laminated, and then recut ALL of my Christmas-themed center materials.  Wow, right?  I am so thankful.  I'm also thankful that I created the materials last year.  This year, all I had to do was get them prepped. You can find "Christmas Math and Literacy Activities" and "Christmas Subtracting Across Zero Practice" in my store.    There's also a spelling practice FREEBIE, which you can get by clicking [here] or on the image below. 








We're doing all sorts of activities related to turkeys and Thanksgiving this week. 

The art teacher had the children make those extremely cute turkeys out of pinecones.  

My coteacher/friend and I are reading some nonfiction about the first Thanksgiving, the Pilgrims, and the Wampanoag. On the first day, we brainstormed a list of items that would be necessary or important to bring if you were traveling to a new land.  They came up with some great ideas.  Seeds, gardening tools, and axes were a few of the items.  There were three students who insisted that one of their stuffed animals needed to come along for comfort.  One student said that his stuffed animal had been a gift from his great-grandmother, so he could not leave it behind. Another day, we had them squish into a taped-off space on the carpet and read about the voyage on the Mayflower. With partners, they took notes on post-its about the challenges the Pilgrims faced during the voyage.  We shared and made a whole-class bulleted list of "hardships"on chart paper. 

The children are FINALLY finishing up the final drafts of their turkey expository pieces.  It was SO QUIET as they worked. I almost felt guilty. Hardly anyone needed me!  I didn't quite know what to do with myself. 

Have a wonderful weekend and a Happy Thanksgiving!  Visit Doodle Bugs Teaching to read more Five for Friday posts. 




2 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh, I love those pinecone turkeys! Such a clever and cheap idea...I think my sixers would love those. And have a great break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a wonderful birthday!! Enjoy the holidays =)
    Kim
    Domikiddos

    ReplyDelete