Friday, November 7, 2014

Five for Friday

I missed the linky last week.  I just had WAY too much going on and needed to rest.  So, this Five for Friday has random happenings from the past two weeks.  Thanks so much once again to Kacey at Doodle Bugs Teaching for hosting Five for Friday!








Winter's going to get here WAY faster than I want it to, and I wanted to enjoy the gorgeous fall weather.  So, we took off last Sunday afternoon and went to Gillette Castle.  The castle was built in the early 1900s by an actor, William Gillette, who was most famous for playing Sherlock Homes. It's amazing inside! The photo of the actual castle was taken a year ago on a different visit.  My husband, the kids, and I traipsed around the trails during this trip. We ended up down on the shore of the Connecticut River.  We watched the ferry crossing the river as well. The ferry began service in 1769.  


We've started introducing literature circles during reading.  We started off by reading a short version of The Lion and the Mouse, which you can grab for free by clicking [here] or on the image below. Using the short story, we introduced each of the jobs and practiced them together.


We've now started to use The Stories Julian Tells  by Ann Cameron. This has to be one of the BEST books I've ever read.  The stories are a perfect reading level for grade 3. The characters are extremely well-developed, and the language is rich.  I'm so glad I discovered this book last year.  I HIGHLY recommend it. We'll be practicing each of the Literature Circles jobs again with partners then move on to doing real literature circles.  




In addition to our comprehension focus, we're working on reading multisyllable words and learning
common prefixes.  We usually spend the first 5 to 10 minutes of the reading block doing some type of short phonics/decoding activity.  It seems to be aiding fluency, and the students get really excited when they notice a prefix we've studied in a book they're reading.  


This is a photo of a student's shirt. I love it!  It states, "Two wrongs don't make a right."  The student wearing it has an older brother who is a former student. I always told the older brother that I liked his shirt. Now my current student is wearing it!  I wonder if they'll pass the shirt along to their little sister.
  


For the past three years, I've created a digital December Daily scrapbook.  The idea is to complete one page for each day in December.  I still haven't finished last year's!  Oops.  I decided I should finish up, since it's almost time to start a NEW December Daily scrapbook. 

Materials for the layout above:  Cheerful kit by Tickled Pink Studios

Don't forget to head over to Doodle Bugs Teaching to read more Five for Friday posts. 






No comments:

Post a Comment