Sunday, October 12, 2014

Sunday Scoop


I'm getting ready for a new week by linking up for the Sunday Scoop linky, which is hosted by the Teaching Trio -- Kristen, Nikki, and Juliet.


I've been teaching rounding and estimating.  I like teaching rounding, and almost all of my students seem to get it.  There are a couple who will need more reteaching, but they're moving right along.  I'm also teaching estimating.  It SOUNDS like a simple skill, but there are always kids who are confused.  Some of them aren't solid with solving ordinary word problems, so throwing estimating at them is overwhelming.  Our curriculum manual says we should spend ONE DAY teaching rounding and TWO DAYS teaching estimating.  I'm not sure who thought up that timetable, but it has always taken longer than that to give students a solid understanding. 

Here's a photo of my long-haired kitty.  His name is Sunshine.  


We  adopted Sunshine from a shelter.  He had been an outdoor cat, and he was attacked by something.  The shelter had the vet operate on him.  He was a little stiff and not entirely well when he came to live with us.  He was also COVERED with matted fur.  My husband deserves the credit for snipping of the mats a little at a time while Sunshine slept belly up.  Once he was all healed, we bathed him.  He was NOT happy!  Now, his fur is beautiful.  I brush him often to try and keep it that way.  He's an indoor cat now, so that helps. 

I started a multiplication/division fact families product for Teachers Pay Teachers a couple of months ago.  I haven't accomplished much.  I'd like to finish it and get it posted, and I'll also be prepping it for my own classroom.  

I'd LOVE to go a a corn maze.  I've always gone to the kiddie ones, because I'm just a bit nervous about getting lost!  Last year, the kids and I were SO BORED that we pretended to be lost to liven things up!  Every now and then, we'd stop and do a little dramatic "dismayed dance" and quietly say, "We're lost! We're lost!" We're easily entertained!


Tammy has been my friend since before kindergarten. She lives an hour away, but we are both so busy that we hardly ever get together.  Tomorrow, since we both have the day off, we've decided to meet for lunch and mani/pedis!   

Here we are in kindergarten, checking the applesauce!  1975!  We were both 4.  I'm the dark-haired one!  



Have a great week! Don't forget to pop over to the Teaching Trio to find other Sunday Scoop posts.  



5 comments:

  1. Hey there! I found you through Sunday Scoop! I love this new linky! :) I too started a multiplication product several weeks ago for my class and it's still not done. Here's hoping to some productivity today! I'm excited to see yours when it's done. Have a happy Sunday!
    Ana
    Mrs. Bentin's Blackboard

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 3rd graders always have trouble with estimating! If you find something to make it easier let me know. Thanks for linking up with us!
    Juliet
    Teaching Trio
    Tech Crazy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cat. I have three rescued cats- one from the street and two from the shelter. Just today we had another article in our newspaper about the coyotes on the prowl in my neighborhood! I keep two of my cats inside, but the third is a tabby and you cannot keep him in!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love him too! He's such a big baby. I'm glad he is willing to stay in and that he likes his scratching mat! He has some serious claws. You'll have to share some pictures of your kitties on your blog.
      Jan

      Delete
  4. Sunshine looks like he is just so relaxed in that photo :) All my cats have always been rescues - so many need homes it just seems right to adopt one and give them a better life.
    Special Teaching at Pempi's Palace

    ReplyDelete