Saturday, October 25, 2014

Jack and the Beanstalk Freebie!

My colleague/team-teacher/friend and I have started a unit on point of view in reading.  We started with some texts that I'm sure many of you have used.  We started off with The Three Little Pigs and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs  by Jon Scieszka.  Then, we got a bit more serious.  Students read a biography of Christopher Columbus. That was followed by Encounter by Jane Yolen, which is a fictional text telling the Columbus story from a Taino child's point of view.  There was a lot of rich discussion about the two points of view.  We also discussed character traits.  We could find evidence that Columbus was a brave man.  We could find evidence that he was a skilled sailor and an adventurous person.  We do not have evidence that he was a kind or good man. Does that mean he was a horrible person who was never kind to anyone?  We don't know.  We don't have evidence of that, either!  


Next week, we're going to use two passages telling the traditional version of Jack and the Beanstalk. Then, we'll compare and contrast the original version with Trust Me, Jack's Beanstalk Stinks! by Eric Braun.  (From the giant's point of view!)  


I wrote a version of the traditional fairy tale for my class.  I checked the readability in Microsoft Word, and according to the program the passage has a Flesch-Kincaid grade level of 2.9. It isn't an exact method of getting a reading level, but it at least gives a general idea. You can grab the passage by clicking [here] or on the image below.  


If you are able to use this passage, I'd love to read about it in the comments! Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. I just finished the different 3 Little Pig stories and then read Jack. I am adding this to my file for next year for sure!
    Mrs. Spriggs’ Kindergarten Pond

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing so many great ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Jack read aloud! I had been having a hard time finding some FEE FII FOO versions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your version of Jack and the Beanstalk is perfect! It is hard to find traditional fairy tales that kids can read on their own. I will pair this with the fractured version. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete