Friday, October 3, 2014

Five for Friday

It's Friday again! I look forward every week to joining up with Kacey at Doodle Bugs Teaching for her Five for Friday linky.



Many years ago, I was trained in the Empowering Writers method of writing instruction. A group of Connecticut teachers created the program.  They had examined what professional authors do, and created a program to teach kids how to use those techniques.  Writing became a fun subject for me to teach.  Last year, my colleague and I started to use an updated Empowering Writers manual in our inclusion writing class. We weren't entirely comfortable with it, because it was new and stretched us out of our comfort zone a bit.  This year, we're adding our own personal touches and having lots of fun with it.  This week we started the castle unit.  To kick off our unit, we began by sharing an expository ebook: Mighty Castles by CSD.  Click [here] or on the book cover to find it at Teachers Pay Teachers.  


We also shared Princess Smarty Pants by Babette Cole and King Bidgood's in the Bathtub by Audrey Wood.  We discussed the differences between expository and narrative writing.  The format is different, and the purpose is different. 

 






 My sister-in-law decided that she was going to "TRASH THE DRESS" and enlisted the kids to help. They enthusiastically squirted her with all sorts of colored paint including the glittery variety.  In purple is my lovely niece.  My daughter is looking appalled in pink, because auntie hugged her and got paint on her!  My son is cracking up as he gets completely covered.  My baby niece hung out with me and watched, but we get close enough for a photo.





We went to the orchard this weekend.  The apples were SO great.  As I type this, there is a freshly-baked apple pie waiting to be eaten.




In math, we've been working on rounding.  I always like to start by listing many, many multiples of ten on chart paper.  We start at 0 but keep going! This time we went onto a second page. This builds number sense and helps the kids get a bigger idea of what "tens" are.  We also make charts listing all of the hundreds.  We go well past 2,000.  I find that starting with this type of activity helps students understand more clearly what it means to round.  In the photo above, one of my students has a tiny piece of sticky note.  She is deciding which two tens the number 967 comes between. Once she figured it out, she stuck the paper between those two tens.  The other students gave a "thumbs up" if they agreed with her decision. All of these activities build a solid foundation for what it means to round.  We moved on to using number lines to round.


Next week is Fire Safety Week.  The fire trucks will be coming to visit.  There is a video that has been played for the students most years by our town fire department.  It's old.  It has Little Richard in it.  I love it.  I sort of sing along with the songs.  Sometimes I tap my foot.  I've included part two of the video for you.  You can find it and part one on You Tube.  If you're short on time, AT LEAST scroll over to Little Richard singing "Fall and Crawl"! Trust me.  You'll be glad you did!


Just last week, I decided to start a collection of math and literacy activities to use for centers and review.  Last minute, I know!  I've finished and have everything I want to use printed and ALMOST ready to use.  You can find the pack in my store [here]. You can also click on the image.  


I'm offering the "character traits"portion of the activities as a freebie in my store.  Click [here] or on the image below to grab it.


Don't forget to head over the Doode Bugs Teaching for more Five for Friday fun.  Have a great weekend!



1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of a trash the dress before, but looked fun! I was so jealous of your freshly baked apple pir sounds delicious!! What a great top for rounding numbers! Enjoy your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete