Friday, September 26, 2014

A Closer Look at My Sub Tub

It's almost the end of September, and I FINALLY have my Sub Tub filled.  Before the students arrived on August 27th, I had prepared one full day of emergency plans and materials plus a few extra items.  Now, it's fairly stuffed!  Here's a closer look at what's in there!





A SUB BINDER



This is the first year I've actually created a sub binder.  It would always take me SO long to prepare for a substitute.  That was a pain but doable when I knew ahead of time that I would be out.  It did not work so well when I woke up sick, or I had a sick child. My teammate and I still occasionally talk about the time I called him at 6 a.m.  My son, age 2, had croup and was barking like a very unwell seal over the phone line!  I have a 45 minute commute to work.  In the past, I usually ended up typing and emailing lesson plans to a colleague at 5 a.m.  Not fun for me!  Not fun for my colleagues either!
My sub binder includes the following:  
  • Allergy and Emergency Information and Procedures
  • Attendance sheets with instructions: Lots of them!
  • Class list: Lots of copies!
  • List of students who leave the classroom: Who, When, Where, Why
  • Daily Schedule
  • Specials Schedule
  • Several copies of a form for a substitute to fill out to let me know how the day went

3 DAYS OF EMERGENCY SUBSTITUTE PLANS 
The plans I included in my sub tub came from my Teachers Pay Teachers store. Click on the preview picture below to see them in my store. Each day of third grade plans has reading activities based on Aesop's fables.  I've also included spelling, writing, and math activities.







There is definitely more included in the plans than a substitute will be able to use.  My goal was to make the materials valuable, engaging, but not too difficult for a substitute to implement.   My emergency substitute plans were so much fun for me to create.  I actually want to just USE them instead of sticking them in the sub tub.  Last June, I actually DID pull out some of my fables to use with my class.  I just had to.  If you are a 1st or 2nd grade teacher, there are bundles available for you too! Click on the images to see them in my store.




SOCIAL STUDIES AND SCIENCE READ ALOUD OPTIONS





The sub plans I created do NOT include science or social studies activities.  So, I've placed some social studies and science read-aloud options in my Sub Tub. I wrote brief notes and attached them to each book with teaching points that will connect the texts to what we've learned in the classroom.

I hope this peek into my sub tub has been at least a little bit helpful!  I'd love to hear what kinds of materials you prepare in case of an unexpected absence.  Leave me a comment! 





No comments:

Post a Comment